Tuesday, January 1, 2008

The Power of Guilt

I called my parents to chew them out. They never told me how guilt works so well with parenting. I had no idea. It is such a powerful tool...
All I wanted was a new shirt, or sweater or something to go out in when Greg's parents were here. We had some time to kill before a Dr. appointment for Melissa and McCoulou's is just down the street. I grabbed the kids some Jamba Juice and over to the store we went. And out of the store we went. My kids were HORRIBLE!!! We couldn't walk 2 steps without one of them whining, or hollering that the other did something. I had had it! We get in the car and I laid it on THICK! I told them how disappointing it was that I couldn't ever do anything for myself it they were with me. I was really bad and told them that I took it personally that they were behaving so atrociously, that it appeared that they were very selfish and couldn't possibly want anything good for anyone else, the least of all their mother. Well, at the end of my ranting and the appointment, they were to come home and go to their rooms. Nothing else, just that.
Here's where it gets good. My little guilt trip worked soooooo well that without even been asked, or told they started cleaning. And I do mean cleaning. Beds were made. Clothes were hung up. Toys were put away in the right spots in the closet. Books were organized by size and under the bookshelf was cleaned out. Mirrors were wiped "clean" with moistened toilet paper. And it got even better. Underwear drawers were emptied, folded and put back in. Sock drawers were emptied and sorted.
Ahh, the joys of parenting. Almost brought tears to my eyes. Mainly because I was laughing so hard!

1 comment:

Shawn said...

LOL!! Maybe I need to try this one :)