
Greg and Austin decided to do a little backbacking and camping this past weekend. Greg got a new tent and backpack for his birthday and they needed to try it out. They went up to Black Diamond Mines over in Antioch. Had to hike about 3 miles up to the campsite. Greg said Austin did great, didn't complain the whole way and carried quite a bit of weight himself. While they were doing this, we girls were at the mall. Imagine my surprise to get a text message asking if I packed the lighter. Well, no. I didn't. Poor guys were up there by themselves, and no way to start their campstove. Cold pop-tarts for them. Then I get another text. You could almost feel Greg cringing with this one: We forgot the blanket. Now, Austin's 10, but has never ever slept without his blanket. I fully expected to see them back at the house that night. But I didn't. They had a fantastic time together! They played all kinds of card games and Austin created his very own horseshoe game. He "shoved a stick into an animal hole and then gathered up a bunch of other sticks that looked like horseshoes" and away they played. They were serenaded that night by an entire pack of coyotes and hoot owls. Greg didn't get much sleep. They came home about 10 the next morning and Austin was all smiles. When I asked him what his favorite part was he said "I got to spend time with dad".
No comments:
Post a Comment